Monday, March 19, 2012

Be Present

Today we are anxiously awaiting the birth of Baby Race.  Earlier this week I told Becky to enjoy the feeling of excitement and anticipation of meeting her baby.  In the end, it gets pretty hard to do.  You wait, and you wait, and you wait.  Some wait longer than others.  But bottom line, all you want to do is meet that baby.  See it's precious face.  Hold it in your arms.

I took my own advice to heart today.  Not necessarily "enjoying" each moment, but instead, truly being present.  I made the decision to become a stay at home mom so that I could experience Scarlett's childhood.  Even in her first 10 months, I have missed that opportunity on several occasions, always looking to or worrying about the future.  Will the worry go away?  Not a chance.  It's embedded in my being.  But, maybe I can at least balance it with living in the moment.

Live in the moment. Like Grandma did today when she decided to skip yoga.  When she chose not to rush our time at the zoo, and to instead be with Scarlett on this gorgeous day.

Live in the moment, even though it might not be enjoyable.  Like when you are dripping sweat, pushing a stroller up the Mount Everest of a hill at the zoo.  Or when you reach the top of said hill, only to walk into the primate building, where it is even hotter. 

Live in the moment, and do what feels good.  Sometimes it feels good to just rest. 

Live in the moment, and celebrate surprises.  Like when Daddy comes home early from school. 

It's going to take some getting used to.  Some slowing down to do.  Lots of deep breaths.  Luckily, I have the sweetest face to look at to remind me to live in the moment. 

1 comment:

  1. Joy, thank you for bringing each of those precious moments back so I could live them again and again!
    We truly had a great day.....I love you both so much.

    ReplyDelete